Friday 12 August 2016

TIPS FOR FRESHERS WEEK



Hello! This blog post goes out to anyone who is about to become a fresher at university. For those of you that don't know, freshers week to put it quite bluntly is a week for you all to settle in...to go out and get smashed.

I get that some of you may not enjoy stuff like drinking, but it's pretty much a right of passage that most new university students go through. It's a great way to make new friends and create loads of memories. I'd love to say that I remember my freshers week, but sadly I do not. Mistake number one on my part, obviously. 

I like to think that you could all learn from me in some way, or at least listen to my advice, even if you don't actually follow it. So, without further ado here is a list of tips you need to know for freshers week.

1) Be open to making new friends
There are going to be loads of different people who have led really different lifestyles to you, and have grown up in a completely different way to you. Some people may have completely diffferent views and opinions to you. This is okay. Embrace the complete nutters you meet and/or live with.

2) Smile
A lot of girls (me especially) suffer with the "resting bitch face" which is my biggest downfall. People just think I'm an absolute wanker because I can't control what my face is doing. A smile is the best thing you can wear, even if you're shy.

3) Embrace the shitty music
You'll hear the same music in the clubs all week. Embrace it. Learn all the words and dance like an absolute maniac.

4) Don't buy all those jaegers, please.I don't care what anyone says, but 6 jaegers for £10 is death, "What an absolute bargain!" you may say. Oh no, my friend. Oh no no no no. Don't do it. Jaegers are diabolical, and you may die.

5) Keep your door open
The easiest step to becoming better friends with your flatmates is keeping your door open, show them that you're friendly and approachable. Freshers week is the easiest time to make your friends.

6) Don't get yourself a bad reputation
This sounds kind of stupid, so feel free to ignore this one, because I'm all for having fun. But bringing home a new person every night and abandoning your friends is not cool, just calm it down because you don't want to be labelled as someone you're not. Have fun, nonetheless.

7) Don't wander off alone
Oh god this is so important. Unfamiliar city, unfamiliar people, alcohol. Not a good mix, am I right? Try not to go to the toilet alone and make sure you can contact everyone. CHARGE YOUR PHONE AT PRE DRINKS!!! Your phone could be your saviour when you're stumbling round a massive nightclub off your tits and alone.

8) Don't put your drink down 
This is a really obvious one that loads of people forget. People get spiked. It happens. And it will happen if you don't keep an eye on your drink.

9) Don't be sick in the club
Oh christ, just don't do this one. I'm not one to really talk about knowing your limits but if you feel sick, get out of there. You will get kicked out 90% of the time if you're spewing loudly in the toilets.

10) Sign up to the gym 
Again, feel free to ignore this because it's something I did not do. But, after all the McDonalds I ate after nights out, I definitely felt like I needed to go to the gym for probably the rest of my life.

11)  Don't abandon your freshers week friends 
Just because freshers week is over, doesn't mean you have to abandon your freshers week friends! Friends are invaluable and loads of the people you meet at uni will be your friends for life!

12) Take cash 
Take cash out in freshers week; you don't know where there's going to be a cashpoint, and most nightclubs have a minimum card spend which is an absolute bitch.
13) Have a budget 
I tried this, and failed miserably...but having a budget is so useful, especially as not everyone's loans cover their rent, let alone their food and night out expenditure. Sit down before you go and work out what you have. Don't fritter your money away. It may seem like a good idea at the time to buy 3 new playsuits for nights out, but believe me, your bank account won't thank you for it.

14) EAT BEFORE YOU GO OUT
Another thing I still don't do! This is so important if you kind of don't want to die, 'cause not eating makes you drunk faster. Even if it's a piece of toast or your tea...eat something, otherwise you'll be way out of your depth way too fast.

15) You don't need the entire reading list, trust me
You NEVER need the whole reading list. Don't make the same mistake I made and buy all of the "essential" books they list. I spent over £200 and have used approximately 3 of the 20+ books I bought.
16) Take loads of photos
If you don't end up remembering the majority of your freshers week like me, the photos will give you a gentle push. Some of the best times will happen during this week. Document it so you can always remember. Plus, they'll make great stories for the grandkids.

17) Freshers flu actually exists
It's NOT A MYTH. This shit is REAL!! I got my flu later, completely after freshers, but all the new germies and people are bound to make you ill. Be prepared.

18) It's completely fine to ring your mom
If you're freaking out a bit, it's okay to ring mom. Just breathe, take a minute and ask her what to do if you're not sure. My mom was and still is my rock, please don't neglect your family.

19) You have an accent
Drop all the bullshit you know, you have an accent. Don't even argue. Cob, bap...same thing. bAAATH or bAAARRRTH...you guess, same thing.

20) Pot noodles are a student stereotype for a reason
Oh of course you're going to be on a strict diet!!! Of course you're going to cook all your own meals. Bollocks. No you're not. Get yourself down to Aldi and grab yourself some grimy noodles. Ambrace the stereotype, you know you want to.

I hope this was helpful to everyone! I'm going into my second year and plan on following none of my own advice. Just kidding, I'm going to try and behave this year. Enjoy yourselves and stay safe!!

chlo x 

Post a Comment

© tintsofautumn. Design by Fearne.