Thursday 11 May 2017

EVERYTHING WRONG WITH 13 REASONS WHY - AN OPEN LETTER




Dear 13 Reasons Why,




I think that whilst your show was made with good intentions, it was a mistake. Yes, I watched every episode because I read the book as a young girl and it affected me beyond words, but I am not a fan.

Yes, mental health needs to be talked about more. I think challenging the stigma is so important, and that creating a better world for our generation and future generations to come is so, so important. I understand where you were coming from. I understand you wanted to show that suicide is so raw and painful and that people do it every day, every second...but personally, I don't think you should be trying to convince people to not kill themselves because of the effect it will have on other people.

The effect on other people is massive, and tragic and so heart-breaking, I love that there are so many facilities to help those who are left with a hole in their hearts. It matters, it really does, to prevent others from falling into dark places because of loss. Grief is a horrible thing, but there are people out there that do this because they believe everyone they want to leave behind would be happier without them. And I think we should start with them, so that there aren't people left behind.

We should be changing how people feel about themselves, and showing them that there is so much more that life can offer. We should be teaching people in need what resources there are out there, and that they are worth it...not convincing them that their choice is selfish.

My other issue is, suicide isn't murder, it shouldn't be a chance to seek revenge on the ones who have wronged you, and it definitely should not have been romanticised as much as it was.



As for the suicide scene, I personally couldn't watch. To me it was too painful. Again, I understand your intentions in including this...but there is a difference to a person reading the scene in a book and then actually seeing her do it. How do you think that affects people with pre existing mental health issues? Did anyone ever think hey, a suicidal person will be able to watch this and definitely won't think about the scene for days on end? It definitely wouldn't trigger a vulnerable person to do something? I think this decision was a bad one.

I really do applaud you for tackling such an important, relatable and current problem, I just really think it should've been approached differently. I think that seeing the cast members talk about mental health in interviews is amazing, and they all seem so educated and passionate...the show had so much potential, and for me it fell short.

Sometimes, you can't make it okay before someone is dead. If you've treated someone like shit, bullied them, done something to them...it's likely your words have already had an effect on them. It's so sad that people are only now realising how to treat others because of the show, that was executed quite poorly, in my opinion.

The whole story focused on Clay, who seemed so infatuated with Hannah Baker, that he actually thought he could love her back to life. Making someone want to live does not mean just giving them love. It is a long process, it takes time and persistence and patience. It means getting to the root of the problem, stripping everything bare and tackling the nitty gritty issues. Self esteem, PTSD, and yes, issues like the show raised. But really, you can't love someone back to life. And although suicide is so so haunting, it is in no way beautiful, like the show made it out to be.

It's ugly, and awful and lonely. Nothing about suicide could ever be beautiful. Romanticising mental health happens too often, and I think that needs to change.

At the end of the series, Clay then reaches out to Skye, a girl whom he knows has been cutting her wrists and seems to generally have a negative outlook on life (another issue of mine, the characters were one-dimensional). This was a nice idea, I like that it kind of shows that Clay wants to help her get over her issues, that it could set the ball rolling to get her help.
He asks her to hang out, but I think we are left with the presumption that Clay saves Skye because he was nice. We don't see him help her see someone about it, we just see the implication that he saved Skye, like he couldn't with Hannah. Like he wouldn't have done it if Hannah wasn't dead, and neither would anyone else.



Kindness alone does not fix suicide. I think that kindness can set the ball rolling, but cannot help someone love being alive again.

I really don't think the sequel is a good idea. I think that to be brutally honest, you're making money out of this for no good reason. Hannah's story ended, as it did in the book. There isn't any reason for the sequel series. The whole point is to keep people wondering, to have them make up their own minds as to what happened.

I really understand that this show helped a lot of people, and I can understand why they like it. I even read somewhere that I think Brazil had a huge increase in calls to suicide hotlines, from people seeking help, and they mentioned that the show had motivated them to call. I really really do think that the intentions of the show were good, but in my opinion (just need to stress that) I didn't like it. It's an important issue, but I don't really recall any point at which they actually discussed mental health issues and the help you can get properly. But honestly, I do see how people were helped by this, I just wasn't at all.

I understand that not everyone will share my views, and it's something I'm honestly really passionate about. I think that the young actors and actresses have so much knowledge and the drive to help people with mental health issues, but the show itself was disappointing, and to some people, dangerous. I know that people will not agree with me, and I know some people might even be angry, but as I've stated through the whole post, it's my opinion and I'm completely entitled to that. I hope that the images I included (which are all taken from Google) show you just what I mean. Suicide is never murder, please remember that.

I also think that it is important to note that I myself have suffered. I don't want to go into it in depth, but I have suffered, and still do, and as someone who suffered...it didn't work for me.

Please, be safe and take care of yourselves. You're not alone.

http://www.samaritans.org/ - 116 123
https://www.mind.org.uk/ - 0300 123 3393
https://www.papyrus-uk.org/ - 0800 068 4141

chlo xx


14 comments

  1. Brilliant, brilliant post. This is exactly what I feel about the show, too. I also think the way Hannah was characterised was a flaw in itself; mental health wasn't something she struggled with and thus it was never addressed - I believe mental health should have played a part, as I believe it does in real life.
    I also don't believe suicide is as clear-cut or as vengeful, or as thought-out as the show portrayed it.

    Thank you for writing this post :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was a hard thing to write because it's such a controversial topic, but I'm glad you agree! Thank you xx

      Delete
  2. Such an amazing post. I too, watched 13 reasons why and I wasnt particularly the biggest fan either. I think the whole idea that everyone was made to suffer as a consequence of Hannah's death was the wrong message to send out completely. A very detailed explanation on your thoughts!

    Sarah | sazsinclair.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate it! I wanted to make sure people understood why I wrote what I wrote you know? I didn't want to seem uneducated, so I'm glad you agree and enjoyed it!! Xx

      Delete
  3. Completely agree with everything you said here. Yes, the show was a great platform for MH and definitely got people talking about it, but it definitely romanticised suicide and the struggles surrounding mental health. I agree that punishing those who wronged her is the wrong message, but I do think that it brought awareness to issues that aren't readily addressed. Very thought provoking xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it means a lot! I feel so passionately about this and I'm so glad people agree with my viewpoint! Thanks for the comment lovely xxx

      Delete
  4. I haven't watched it, and I don't know if I will, because of how much I've heard similar to this. You've written this so poignantly! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think there was a good message behind it but it's not worth the watch if you think you wouldn't like it! It was just done in the wrong way xxx

      Delete
  5. I actually haven't watched this show, mostly because of the reasons you're laying out. Something about the premise of the show sort of struck me as an odd and potentially triggering way to approach the topic. I'm not sure whether I should watch it at all now.

    Thanks for this incredibly thoughtful commentary.

    xx
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really is triggering and this is coming from someone who's managed to overcome a lot of difficult issues, so I can't even imagine what it must be like for those still really suffering! I wanted to get the message out there so I'm glad you enjoyed!! Xxx

      Delete
  6. It is a show I won't be giving a go, because the book affected me so much.
    Cora ❤ http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back part of me wishes I hadn't watched it, but then again I wanted to make people aware. I'm glad I've got the message out there and warned a lot of people off!! Xxx

      Delete
  7. I agree with everything you said here and literally found myself nodding as I read it omg! I read the book before watching it and I understand exactly how triggering it is x

    Morgan // www.justmorgs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much I'm glad you agree!! Yeah I read it as a very vulnerable teenager and it did me no good at all x

      Delete

© tintsofautumn. Design by Fearne.