Thursday 9 June 2016

Fresher Year - A Survival Guide

 
CALLING ALL FUTURE FIRST YEARS!!

Going to uni can be really daunting, and a big step from your cushty life back at home with your parents. Its sort of like going from waiter service to self cater. Uni throws you in the deep end, it literally forces you to grow up, no matter how hard you fight it.

BUT, having just finished my first year I can safely say that it is the best thing you will ever do. I was miserable, lonely and had just been dumped... attractive right? Uni really helped me sort myself out, find myself and as well as finding the best friends in the world, it's solidified my decision to pursue journalism.

So, without further ado, here is my ultimate survival guide to your fresher year at university.

1) MAKE FRIENDS, NOT ENEMIES- Be friendly. Don't create a bad impression from the get go. Be yourself, don't force it. It sounds stereotypical but, most flats have that one person that doesn't get on with anyone or maybe shuts themselves away..try not to let that be you. Make an effort with your flatmates and coursemates. You can never have enough friends by your side. Just remember not everyone has great intentions and will try to drag you down. Recognise the warning signs of a toxic friend.

2) DON'T PACK TOO MUCH- I made this fatal mistake. Uni rooms aren't huge... at all. Too much stuff means clutter and mess, and we all know how easy it is to just let a messy bedroom get worse. All of my stuff only just fit into my dads 7 seater people carrier, and when I left uni, it took me TWO DAYS to unpack. Don't bring that upon yourself. As you're at uni, you will acquire more stuff, so don't go crazy. Pack what you NEED, cause momma isn't there to clean your pigsty for you.

3) BUDGET YOUR MONEY - Oh god, this is so important. I would suggest sitting down with a parent beforehand and looking at your loans/grants. Work out how much you have left after your rent goes out, and work out how much you have roughly to spend each week. I'd suggest maybe getting a part time job if you have the time. Although my part time job stopped me going out on the biggest night out of the week, I had enough money. Take into consideration what you already pay for each month, for example I pay just under £100 a month for my car insurance and phone bill. I sacrificed my Netflix subscription as well, it was a traumatic time.

4) BRANCH OUT- Try not to stick to one or two friends; branch out and meet new people. This comes along with joining a society and befriending your coursemates. Its great to have a wide social circle, it makes the stresses of uni a lot easier to deal with, especially if you have a lot of good friends who have your back and make you smile.

5) GO OUT- Obviously if going out isn't your thing you can skip this part, but I really would say that you should go out at least once in your first year. Freshers week is mental, the best fun ever. You don't have to worry about lectures or work, you really can let go. I've had some of my best memories from nights out (those that I can remember... oops), and I've met a few people who may not be in my life right now, but they certainly made me very happy at one point (and if any of you are reading this, you're twats... but thanks I guess?). Despite all this I cannot stress enough how careful you need to be. Stick in a group, never put your drink down, don't take anything from strangers, and if you're considering a one night stand, go back to somewhere familiar to you and protect yourself- you don't know where people have been.

6) MAKE TIME FOR YOUR STUDIES- As much as I rave about having a good time and making memories, please for the sake of your £9,000 debt make time for your work. Its not top banta starting your assignment at 3am on the day it's due... that's stupid. Give yourself time to do your work, and as for this "first year doesn't count" bullocks... try your hardest no matter what. Your first year leaves a lasting impression and helps you get going and find your feet in your subject.

7) JOIN A SOCIETY- Even if you don't have any hobbies as such before uni, find a new one. Joining a society not only opens you up to an amazing social life, but can really provide you with some amazing achievements (more so on the sports side) and is a great escape from the stress of work or maybe even drama in your flat or friendship group. I have been a competitive cheerleader for around 5 years, and after joining the uni team, we achieved national and grand champions at nationals, and I won Most Improved Club Player 2016 out of ALL of the sports societies, which is insane considering my team are the most amazing, talented bunch of people I've ever met.

8) TAKEAWAYS ARE NOT THE ANSWER- We all love takeaways right? Especially when we are low on money and our inner fat kid is screaming at us. IGNORE HIM. Dominoes and Just Eat became my greatest weaknesses. Once you have one takeaway, it spirals out of control. Another won't hurt will it? YES, IT WILL. It hurts not only your bank balance but your body... it really does nothing for you. Its kind of like a drug addiction, only less life threatening and more likely to turn you into a complete couch potato. Don't get reeled in by the discount codes, as hard as it is... (we used STUDNT50 for 50% off when you spend over £40...you didn't hear it here). Try and cook for yourself, or maybe have a meal with your flatmate and take it in turns to cook.

9) KEEP IN CONTACT BACK HOME- Don't forget where you came from! Keep in contact with your friends and family, even if you're not homesick. That little bit of effort saves you a lot of trouble and ensures you don't lose the great bonds that you already have! Equally, this is a great opportunity to cut those toxic friends out of your life. Be as brutal as you wish (to an extent). If someone has bad intentions with you or treats you poorly, get rid. You're an adult and you quite bluntly don't have time for that shit.

10) ESSENTIALS YOU MAY NOT THINK OF -
  • An extension lead
  • A washing up bowl
  • Mattress topper (believe me, with the state of some uni beds, this will save your back)
  • Air freshener (just trust me on this one)
  • Plastic wallets

I hope you enjoyed my brief-ish survival guide to fresher year and I hope you all have amazing uni experiences..make the most of it cause it really does go by in a flash.

Loads of love,

chlo x





Post a Comment

© tintsofautumn. Design by Fearne.